Lafarge South Africa has implemented a comprehensive strategy and action plan the last 10 years for dealing with the HIV/Aids pandemic. The overall aim of the programme is to minimise the number of employees and their families who get infected, while providing even better support for those unfortunate enough to be HIV positive. Healthy employees are the pillars on which the future prosperity of the company is founded.
Key interventions the past 10 years:
- Anonymous HIV prevalence testing 2001
- KAP survey, pre test 2002, post test 2005 and 2008
- Roll out of Peer educator programme, sustained over the past 4 years (peer educators re-launched 2007)
- Road shows by persons living with Aids 2005
- Industrial theatre - Secrets and Lies, Live on Live long, Breaking the silence.
- VCCT Annually
- Comprehensive medical management programme - Lifeworks
- Commemoration of World Aids Day, December 1st.